This project documents a landscape architecture studio at the University of Manitoba exploring synaesthetics. The goal of the studio is to try to capture/transform/transmit landscape processes/dynamics including sound and light through a series of environmental installations.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

concept 3: Ian Taylor


Image

Posted by Ian Taylor

The work of Ian Taylor
Trying to get the technical aspects of the studio working to produce an analog installation that represents my thinking has been challenging for myself and other students I have talked to thus far. Many of my ideas have remained conceptual. I have been using simple technologies such as: small solar units, watch batteries, LED's and duct tape to trigger my installation work.

There are several natural processes that I have wanted to represent in the Seattle landscape. It has been my intention to find a natural process that is fluid, one that could be applied to the Hillside Beach site as well.

My latest concept uses the metaphor of the vine competing to reach sunlight within the Capitol Hill Ravine. Competition for sunlight is a ubiquitous natural process, despite different vegetations and rates of succession.

In Seattle, vines aggressively searches for sunlight. The process goes unseen to the viewer. By using solar power to transfer the suns energy, white helium balloons will be slowly released into the atmosphere on white strings to represent the vine's competition for sunlight. I am still in the process of realizing the analog and digital representations. I hope to have a mock up of the installation by late week 3.


No comments: